Full course description
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Use backward design principles to design an online course
- Evaluate online assessment tools
- Employ active and interactive learning strategies
- Create a usable and visually attractive design to engage students
- Connect students with assistive technology resources
- Organize content to make it easier for students to find and use resources
- Establish and maintain and effective online presence
- Describe how teaching in a virtual classroom differs from traditional brick and mortar classrooms
- Navigate the Canvas user interface
- Effectively use multimedia resources
Meet the Instructor
This course was created through a collaboration between eLearning Design & Services, the IU Teaching Centers staff, and faculty.
About the Course
This self-paced course is for anyone at Indiana University developing and/or teaching an online course. It explores the concept of backwards design as a model for planning and developing your course by beginning with learning outcomes, followed by assessments, activities, and content. It also includes topics such as online presence, course structure, usability, visual design, accessibility, multimedia, syllabi, and course management. It is a non-facilitated course where participants can work through the modules at their own pace based on their own needs and interests.
The modules include:
- Designing an Online Course: Where do I start?
- Online Assessment: How do I know my students are learning?
- Active and Interactive Learning: What can my students "do" online?
- Usability and Visual Design: What can I do to help my students see where to go and what to do?
- Accessibility: How can I help my students who use assistive technology?
- Organizing Content: How can I make, find, and use online resource?
- Online Presence: What can I do to to ensure my students "see" me?
- Structuring the Course: How do I put it all together and explain it to my students?
- Teaching in the Virtual Classroom: How is it different and how can I do it better?
- Getting Started with Canvas: How do I use the instructor tools?
- Multimedia: How can I find it, make it, and use it in my online class?