Full course description
Are you looking for ways to introduce children to the importance of choosing a healthy diet? This course will discuss the role of food in growth and development, along with malnutrition and consumer information. We will also identify both nutrient rich and energy dense foods and discuss the merits of both. We will discuss the childhood obesity epidemic and nutrition-related programs that may be available to help children in your school. Finally, we will explore the new school meal and snack policies under School Wellness plans, and discuss ways to implement the plans in your own school or community. At the end of the course, you will have an understanding of nutrition-related issues children in our schools face and resources available to both educate students about the importance of healthy foods, and to assure access to healthy foods.
At the end of this course in Youth Fitness and Health education, you should be better able to
· Explain the purpose of food as fuel for proper growth and development.
· Explore the MyPlate icon and its selected messages for consumers.
· Explain the differences between energy dense and nutrient dense foods/beverages, and why you may or may not choose foods from either category.
· Summarize nutrition related health claims.
· Evaluate health claims that are allowed by the FDA, and those that are not.
· Discuss the importance of being a healthy role model for children.
· Explain how overweight and obesity are defined and calculated for children and teens.
· Describe the implications and actions required for youth in unhealthy weigh categories.
· Explain the nutrition related solutions for childhood obesity and how they can be implemented in your school.
· Explain the nutritional guidelines for meals and snacks served at schools and child care programs that receive government funding..
· Identify programs that can help children who may be experiencing food insecurity that supply healthy meals and snack outside of normal meal times or away from school.