Full course description
This course serves as a comprehensive on-boarding introduction for newly hired academic advisors (professional and faculty) and success coaches to the expectations, technology, and practice of advising at Indiana University. Experienced academic advisors may also find some of the modules to be good refresher opportunities.
After completing the modules, you will be able to:
- use a good understanding of IU students in your advising practice
- Articulate the best practices for advising at IU
- Successfully employ technology tools in your advising practice
- Understand the IU policies relevant to your advising practice
Module Topics Include
- Getting Started
- Understanding IU Students
- Practice of Advising
- Technology of Advising (SIS, AdRx, iGPS, SAS, FLAGS)
- IU Policies Impacting Advising
Meet the Instructors
This course was initially created by Gail Fairfield (OCSS, now retired) and Jeani Young (UITS) and was revised by Kate Goldstein (OCSS). Gail worked with Advising Directors across IU to develop and vet the content.