Full course description
This course is designed for international teachers currently teaching outside of the United States whose students are between the ages of five and twelve. This course will develop participants' teaching abilities by encouraging them to recognize and implement American strategies for teaching reading and writing skills to their students. Participants in this course will learn how to think critically about the ways that they can enhance the language learning experience for their students.
In this course, participants will:
- be able to motivate students to see reading as a pleasurable, fulfilling activity while they become more fluent, independent readers.
- be able to provide instruction that reflects upon literary theme in poetry, novels, and short stories through multi-modal activities that reflect a personal perspective and encourage a critical response.
This course is intended to be experienced alongside PIE's other course offerings:
- Classroom Management Strategies
- Teaching Phonics Awareness
- The Writing Process
- Reading and Writing Strategies for the ESL Classroom
- Introduction to American English Teaching Methods - Capstone Project