Full course description
This course was developed at the request of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary Advisory Committee. It provides an overview of this special environment and the rules we have to protect it. You will also learn about the many ways in which you impact the Keys and their natural resources. Taking this course and using the resources it provides will make you a more responsible and safer boater.
Learning OutcomesAfter completing this course, learners should be able to:
- Identify relevant regulations that provide the framework for boater safety and resource protection in Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary.
- Identify sensitive natural and cultural resources and the management tools that protect them.
- List boating strategies and techniques to prevent resource impacts in different habitats.
- Know how to identify the location of marine zones within Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary and describe the applicable access and use restrictions. Describe the consequences of illegal actions within Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary.
- Identify the impacts of boater behavior on other visitors and choose respectful options.
This course is self-paced allowing you flexibility in the time needed to complete the course. You decide the order and progression you’d like to take, allowing you to revisit and review sections in greater depth as needed.
Elements of the course
- A Place Like No Other
- Protecting Our Resources
- Stewardship Depends on You
- Zones and Special Protection Areas
- Consequences of Careless Boating
- Choosing to be a Better Boater
Following the course, you will complete an assessment which requires you to demonstrate your understanding of key course concepts. Upon successful completion of the assessment you will be awarded an electronic certificate of completion.
This course is recommended for anyone visiting the Keys, and is especially important for those who will be boating in and around the Keys and the National Marine Sanctuary.
Frequenly Asked Questions
Aside from an internet connection, what resources will I need for the course?
No additional resources are required for this course.
Will I get a certificate after completing the course?
Yes! All courses include a final assessment to evaluate your understanding of key course concepts. A certificate of completion will be offered to you if you complete the assessment with a score of 80% or higher. You will earn a certificate of completion for a certificate program after completing all program assignments and the assessments with a score of 80% or higher.
Why should I take this course?
Each Eppley e-course is designed collaboratively among experienced instructional designers, subject matter experts, and our partner organizations and institutions. The course curriculum includes current information and best practices in the field and is recognized by national leaders in parks, recreation, and land management. Not only will this course benefit your career by expanding your knowledge base, but it will also enhance your application and problem-solving skills.
How to Access
Upon enrolling, you will receive instructions and the link to Canvas. Note: When you register, you'll receive an email invitation. Be sure to accept that invitation, or Canvas will not allow you to open the course modules.
Trainees can move through content modules at their own pace within the course timeframe. Trainees are allowed to finish the course prior to its conclusion date.