Full course description
Monday, September 11, 2017
IMU State Room West
Mondays, September 18-November 13
IMU (rooms may vary by week)
Eligibility: Full-time IU faculty & staff. Spouses on an IU-sponsored medical plan.
A growing body of research has shown that mindfulness meditation practice improves concentration and focus and may lead to greater well-being, less reactivity to stress, and fewer symptoms of anxiety, depression, fatigue, and sleep disturbance.
IU staff and faculty who attended this class have said:
- “The class is absolutely wonderful—and for me, life-changing.”
- “I can find inner peace through the techniques learned in this class that brings me a renewed sense of energy!”
- “This course has helped me realize what is most important and foremost in my life. All the other things are very small in comparison.”
- “I am so grateful for this opportunity—expert guidance, supportive work environment, a walk to the Union each week. What I am learning extends way beyond my work at IU; this class is giving me the tools I need to be a calmer, more focused and aware wife, mom, daughter, sister, friend—a calmer, more focused and aware me.”
This program focuses on:
- Recognizing and addressing stressful situations effectively “on the spot”
- Managing chronic stress
- Improving focus and communication
- Enhancing mind-body wellness
Employees are invited to the orientation, which is the first class, to assess if this class meets their needs. The class is free to employees committed to attending the weekly sessions. The class is an adaptation of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction, the program developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn and the Center For Mindfulness, University of Massachusetts.
Facilitator: Linda F Brown, PhD, HSPP
If this class is full, please sign up for the Wait List at: https://iu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1XiD9bcXTP6kUBv#iptraining