Full course description
This self-study course will review
ethical principles as encountered in the dental office to help the
hygienist to identify, and appropriately respond to ethical dilemmas and
problems. All dentists and dental hygienists in the state of Indiana
are required to complete a course on Ethics, Professional
Responsibility, and the Indiana Statutes and Administrative Rules. This
course fulfills the requirement and participants will print a
certificate at the end of the course. For more information about
continuing education requirements in Indiana visit: https://www.in.gov/pla/2393.htm
This online course is divided into 5 Modules.
Each Module is 3-4 pages long and should take approximately 30 minutes to complete for a total of 2 hours for course completion. You can exit the course and re-enter at any time to complete all modules and quizzes. The modules include:
- Material for you to read and explore;
- Videos with lecture content
- A Quick Check for mastery of the material
The Modules are:
- Module 1: Course Overview and Navigation
- Module 2: Ethical Principles and Values
- Module 3: Professional Responsibility
- Module 4: Indiana Dental Law
- Module 5: Course Completion Survey
- Define ethical principles used in the dental hygiene scope of practice.
- Discuss the interplay of each ethical principle in the decision making process of the dental hygienist.
- Differentiate between ethical dilemma and ethical choice.
- Define ethical values defined in ethical dental practice.
- Discuss social responsibility in relation to the dental hygiene profession.
- Define the ADHA’s Standards of Care.
- List the social determinants of health.
- Define social determinants.
- Describe the role of the social determinants of health in access to care issues.
- Describe strategies a dental hygienist can implement to address access to care issues within the community.
- Define dental and other chronic diseases as public health problems with public health solutions.
- Identify public health problems, measures, and solutions within a community.
- Explain how social determinants affect individuals and communities.
- Locate the current Indiana Dental Statues and Rules.
- List the continuing education requirements for Dental Hygienist.
- Describe the general provisions of the Indiana Code.
- Describe key aspects of the Indiana Administrative Code.
About the instructors:
Mallory Edmondson, MSDH, RDH is a Clinical Assistant Professor and Division of Dental Education Program Director in the School of Applied Health Sciences of the Vera Z. Dwyer College of Health Sciences at IU South Bend. She is a Registered Dental Hygienist and speaks nationally with Dental Hygiene Seminars. She received her Masters of Science in Dental HYgien from the University of Bridgeport, a Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene from IU South Bend, and Bachelor of Science in Nutrition with minors in Biology and Chemistry from IU Bloomington. She is committed to creating a fun, interactive learner centered classroom environment. She teaches Preventive Dentistry, Community Assessment and Program Planning, Evaluation of Health Promotion Programs, Topics in Dental Hygiene, Introduction to Health Sciences, and is willing to take on the challenge of a new course. With a passion for public health, Mallory has given numerous academic presentations nationally focusing on community dental health, and co-teaches a study abroad trip for students to Belize titled Health Promotion Disease Prevention: Belize. She is dedicated to removing departmental education silos to provide diverse educational experiences in order to shape the future of healthcare.
Kristyn Quimby, DHEd, RDH, CHES® is a Senior Clinical Lecturer and Assistant Dean in the School of Applied Health Sciences within the Dwyer College of Health Sciences at IU South Bend. Her interests and passion focus on the intersection of health education, community outreach, and service. She has a Doctorate of Health Education from A.T. Still University in the College of Graduate Health Studies. She is also a Registered Dental Hygienist and Certified Health Education Specialist ®. Previous awards and recognition include 2010 Distinguished Alum from the IU South Bend Dental Hygiene Program; 2015 Recognition for Outstanding Achievements to the Division of Dental Education for her work as Program Director; 2016 Partnership Matters award from the Area Health Education Centers for her work with Operation Smile, a dental outreach event for veterans; and 2016-17 Educator of the Year from Student Life at IU South Bend. She teaches Community Assessment and Program Planning, Evaluation of Health Promotion Programs, and Health Promotion and Disease Prevention: Belize and Costa Rica.