Waste Management Training for Labs - Bloomington 2023
Jul 1, 2022 - Jun 30, 2023
Full course description
This course is designed to comply with federal, state, and local regulations governing activities related to the generation and accumulation of hazardous waste in laboratories, and to provide guidance on University procedures for laboratory waste accumulation and disposal as detailed in the IU Waste Management Program. This training meets the requirements in 40CFR262.17(a)(7). Employees who complete this training annually may transport hazardous waste from a satellite accumulation area to a central waste storage area for the purpose of transferring it to IUEHS if authorized by IUEHS. All transport of hazardous waste must be done in accordance with the IU Hazardous Materials Transportation Program.
This training is intended for Indiana University community members only. If you need to complete this training as a guest user, you may request access to the course at email@example.com.
After completing the module, you will be able to:
- Understand the hazardous waste regulatory framework
- Recognize hazardous wastes and other wastes that pose safety or environmental concerns for disposal
- Properly label and accumulate waste in a laboratory satellite accumulation area
- Properly package waste for transfer to IUEHS
- Respond to emergencies arising from the accumulation or transfer of hazardous waste
Module Topics Include
- Regulatory overview
- Procedures for accumulating, packaging, labeling, and transferring hazardous waste
- Emergency response procedures
IU Environmental Health and Safety