Full course description
This course is designed to comply with federal regulations governing the training of employees who are involved in the transportation of hazardous materials in commerce. Employees whose job tasks include paperwork preparation, review, or signing; package handling; package preparation; or package loading and unloading are considered hazmat employees under the regulations. Hazmat employees must be trained according to the requirements of 49CFR172.704. The training must include general awareness and hazardous materials tasks; safety training for personal protection from hazardous materials exposures; emergency response procedures; and security awareness training. An employee who prepares, handles, or receives shipments transported by University personnel, is not subject to the training requirements of 49CFR172.704.
This training is intended for Indiana University community members only. If you need to complete this training as a guest user, you may request access to the course at email@example.com.
After completing the module, you will be able to:
- Recognize hazardous materials
- Safely perform transportation-related job tasks involving hazardous materials
- Respond to emergencies related to those job tasks
- Recognize and respond appropriately to security concerns involving hazardous materials packages
Module Topics Include
- Regulatory requirements for hazmat employee training
- Hazard awareness and recognition
- Security awareness
- Job safety and emergency procedures
IU Environmental Health and Safety