Biosafety Training 2022
Ended Jul 1, 2022
Sorry! The enrollment period is currently closed. Please check back soon.
Full course description
This online course is intended to promote a safe laboratory working environment and to help ensure compliance with the NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules and the Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories, 5th Ed. Biological safety training pertains to all IBC protocols and research that fall under the NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules, all Biological Safety Level 2 or higher protocols, and teaching laboratories at Biological Safety Level 2.
After completing the module, you will be able to:
- Make personnel aware of the best practices for safe biological work and proper waste disposal
- Discuss the engineering controls, PPE, and work practices recommended for use when conducting work under different levels of biological containment
Module Topics Include
- How to perform a biological risk assessment
- Appropriate PPE, engineering, and work practice controls to use when conducting work under different biological containment
- Difference between RG1, RG2, and BSL1 and BSL2
- How a biological safety cabinet functions and how to work safely inside a BSC
- Proper waste handling procedure and safe autoclave operation
IU Environmental Health and Safety