Full course description
This training, designed specifically for UITS, is intended for UITS managers and employees who are responsible for systems or services that create, receive, maintain, or transmit protected health information (PHI), individually identifiable patient data protected by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). It fulfills part of the annual HIPAA training requirement set by the HIPAA Security Rule and IU policy. To complete the UITS HIPAA training requirements, two additional courses are required. Please see the KB article https://kb.iu.edu/d/abmg for further instructions on how to access those courses.
This training will explain:
- why HIPAA is relevant for UITS,
- what the NIST Risk Management Framework is and how UITS uses it,
- what the required, addressable, and recommended safeguards are for UITS systems,
- what the UITS HIPAA process is and how to apply it.
You will need to complete a short knowledge-check quiz at the end.
To enroll in the course, you will need to take the following steps:
- Click "Enroll"
- Login to Expand if you have not already done so. You will use your IU credentials to login, or you can take the steps to create a guest account if you do not have IU credentials.
- Click "Enroll in Course"
- Select "Go to Your Dashboard"
- Locate the proper course under "In Progress" then select "Begin"