Full course description
Safety and Success in Community Engagement is a sequence of four modules that will assist faculty in making their community engagement activities as safe, successful, and hassle-free as possible.
You may choose to complete three brief Learning Checks to solidify your learning and to receive a Safety & Success Certificate, which you can include on your annual report and CV.
Participants in this course will be able to:
- Identify what to discuss with your community partner.
- Articulate the responsibilities and expectations in your partnership.
- Develop an orientation that prepares students for their community service activity.
- Describe key elements of IU's Policy on Working with Children.
- State best practices when working with children.
- Obtain permission to take and share photos, videos, and audio recordings.
- Define discrimination, harassment, sexual misconduct, and bias.
- Describe key aspects of Indiana University's Policy on Discrimination, Harassment, and Sexual Misconduct.
- Respond to discrimination, harassment, sexual misconduct, and bias in accordance with IU policy.
- Respond when a student experiences a physical injury in accordance with IU policy.
- Direct victims of discrimination, harassment, sexual misconduct, and bias to supportive resources.
- Communication with Community Partners
- Student Preparation
- What to Do If Bad Things Happen
- Wrap Up
Gail McGuire is Professor of Sociology and Director of Community Engagement at IU South Bend.